Thursday 7 February 2013

Rainbow quilt

Well, sooner or later I had to make a rainbow quilt. Any excuse would do. But since I have a daughter who likes pink, and yellow, and green, but her favourite colour is blue... and who knows what will she say tomorrow; the rainbow theme was an obvious choice.
And when I saw a Dresden plate applique block I was sold.
Making this quilt was pure fun. From choosing the fabrics in all the rainbow colours (and pink)


then cutting all the petals


then more cutting, arranging, sewing, ironing, fusing, quilting - all the time with these gorgeous fabrics in front of me. It just made me happy :)
That is the Dresden plate applique close up. I am really happy how all the colours look together. I had two different fabrics for every rainbow stripe, just instead of indigo I used pink, and then I needed two more petals, so I got these red flowers (they are a bit redder then the picture shows) on the pink background and that combines two ends of my rainbows just right.


And here it is on my daughter's bed:


And here is the back:


The fabric I used for the back is a part of a single duvet cover which I bought few years ago when I discovered quilting, and I knew from the beginning that I am gonna make a rainbow quilt one day.
And here it is in it's full glory brightening my garden:


It is a bit like having summer rolled up and ready to use on a gloomy day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment