Monday 24 February 2014

Edinburgh Quilt Festival

It was a fantastic day. For starters, I could browse through hundreds of fat quarters, half meters and yards of gorgeous fabrics. And then, when my shopping fever calmed down I was admiring beautiful quilts entered into competition.
Do not ask me which one won in what category, I have no idea. I just admired the ones that I loved and I hope you will admire them too (please excuse the photos quality but it was inside and the lightning wasn't good).
After stitching so many rainbows and colourful quilts this beauty in '50 shades of grey' got my instant attention. Stunning work.



These two are the same design but different colourways, the difference is huge, I had to look twice to notice that they are the same! I love the 9-patch border, it is soo effective.



I think it is pretty obvious why this one  got on my list, the coulours are awesome. Spring itself couldn't choose better ones. But look at the quilting, especially in the middle, it is beautiful.


I am on my knees, look at the little squares! They are 1 inch squares! And there is so many of them... How skillful, experienced and brave the maker must be!


And more shades of grey. I am not a fan of batiks but this one almost made me buy some :)


Ha, I can find a rainbow anywhere, and this stunning piece was easy to spot. Beautiful wall-hanging!


And now my favourites, quilts that are pictures.These two are a set and show the same seaside view in two different seasons. Look at the grasses! these are threads  of the frayed fabric, what a brilliant idea. And the metallic thread to quilt the sea... brilliant.




Miniature quilts. Do I have to say more? The brave people who make log cabin, flying geese, nine patch and more in a fraction of the normal size? (I was trying to figure it out and I think it is like 1/144 but I could be wrong)


They are maybe, maybe big enough to be a mug rug...



You know what will you get when you mix all the colours of the rainbow? White! And this beauty in white and cream with so many intricate details is amazing. Every block is different, buttons, shells, beads plus every fabric-prettifying technique you can imagine... you could hold a year course of textile art based on this piece.




Now, the set of two. Imagine you are on a walk in the woods. What would you see if you look down?


And above?


Brilliant, isn't it?

And finally something to remind me that quilts are about quilting, and quilting is not just to hold the layers together:


So inspiring... Thank you to all quilters who achieve this level of skill and let others be inspired by their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment